Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Meet Mariana


Mariana is a woman my Purley Girl Lisa aka Moon and I met at the Starbucks in Enchanted Lake. She asked Lisa and I if we could fix her ripped ended dress. She is houseless so her garments tend to get snagged from the trees and bushes. There were so many rips in that dress that we thought it would be hard to knit it back into place like she wanted us to. Instead we taught her how to knit. Every now and then she sews threads to her torn dress. Right now, she is working on knitting pants. She is using 100% cotton. It's coming along good actually. She's made a bunch of Icords that she uses as ties. The photo on top is of her knitting her pants. Every week or so, I take my kids to play at the Keolu park. This is where Mariana sleeps. When she sees me there, she runs to the bushes to get out her knitting and her mat and joins me at the park and we both knit. I also bump into her at the Starbucks in Enchanted lake and she likes to sit and knit and talk story. The bottom pic is of her holding up my enterlac wrap.
Mariana is very interesting. Clearly, she suffers from some mental disorder as she hears voices talking to her. But for the most part, she is very coherent. Her memory is unbelieveable. She has certainly been through allot during her life. In the past, she was married and as several kids. All her kids were taken away from her because she was living at the beach. She keeps talking about her husband that she hasn't seen in 15 years. It's actually relaxing hanging out with her and knitting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How awesome that you are friends with this homeless lady. What a difference you are making in her life. If she is showing you her knitting each time she sees you, she obviously enjoys your company and it must mean so much to her. That my dear is the true aloha spirit............